The following is a list of most frequently asked questions and their corresponding answers.|
Ice Shaver Machines
1. What is the difference between a cube ice shaver and block ice shaver?
Cube Ice Shaver:
- Cube shavers weigh 20 lbs less than block shavers, which make it much easier to move.
- HC-8E Cube Shaver is the only cube shaver that produces nearly the same quality snow as block shavers.
- At special events, cube ice is more readily available because food & beverage vendors use cube ice.
- Cube shavers are safer & easier to operate. The blade is not as readily exposed as with block shavers.
- Cube shavers have a slightly higher output volume. Cubes shave 6 lbs p/min.
- The cube shaver is cost less than the block ice shaver.
- The cube ice shaver is as popular as the block ice shaver.
Block Ice Shaver:
- The Block Shaver is heavier than the Cube Shaver.
- The Block Shaver creates fluffier shave ice.
- With a block shaver, you can freeze your own blocks of ice by purchasing 3-qt.
round cylinder containers at any grocery or restaurant supply. Fill containers with
water & freeze on level surface for 24 hrs.
- Block shavers shave at 4.6 lbs. p/min.
- The block ice shavers cost more than the cube ice shavers.
- Block shavers are as popular as the cube shavers.
2. Should you purchase a block or a Cube Ice Shaver?
- Does your location have cube ice available? If yes, the cube shaver is the best choice.
If not, the block shaver, you can make your own block of ice by purchasing a 3 quart round
cylinder Rubbermaid, 7 ½ inches in diameter and 7 inches in height, from Wal-Mart, K-mart, etc.
- If you're going to be doing fairs, special events, catering, or high volume, then a cube shaver is the best choice.
- Do you have long lines? If yes, the cube ice shaver is recommended.
3. What is the difference between sno-cone machines and Shave ice machines?
Hawaiian Ice, also known as Shave ice (not Shaved ice), is much different than a sno-cone,
in that it is made by a small counter-top machine that shaves ice rather than grinding it like a
sno-cone machine. The result is ice so fine that it rivals real snow! The snow is then placed in a
bowl and drenched with tropical flavored syrups. Because the shaved ice is so soft and powdery, the
syrup is held within its texture, versus settling to the bottom like traditional sno-cones.
4. What is the difference between the HC-S32A and the HC-8E cube ice shaver?
- HC-8E is specially made for North America and it is approved by NSF and UL. NSF label is
required by County Health Agency for commercial ice shavers which are required to sell and serve to the public.
- HC-8E is a faster machine and it shaves 6.0 lbs ice per/min.
- It is mostly bought and used by restaurants, caterers and vendors who sell Hawaiian shave ice to the public.
- HC-S32A is non NSF and UL. It is also a commercial ice shaver which gives fluffy shave ice.
- The HC-S32A shaves 4.0 lbs of fluffy shave ice per/min.
- It is mostly bought by home owners who really like to enjoy the taste of Hawaiian Shave Ice.
5. Do you sell Snow Cone Machines?
No, we do not sell snow cone machines.
6. Where can you buy your deep cycle marine batteries for the DC machine?
Costco, Wal-mart, k-mart, sears, etc.
7. What type of battery do I need to purchase for my DC 12V?
A 40 AH (amp/hour) deep cycle marine battery.
8. Per charge how many serving of shave ice?
Overnight charge will allow you to shave 400 servings or more of ice.
9. What is the difference between the RTU and Concentrate flavors?
RTU syrups are pre-mixed and ready to be served to your customer. They require no
mixing. The RTU is recommended for the first time customers in the shave ice business.
Our concentrate flavor requires you to do the mixing (click here for detailed mixing instructions).
For our customers concentrate flavor is more economical for higher volume than the RTU syrups. The
concentrate flavor will make you cut the syrup cost to about 50% to 60% by mixing yourself. A quart
size of concentrate will make 8 gallons of RTU syrup and 1 gallon of concentrate flavor will make 32 gallons on RTU syrup.
10. Do you carry flavor samples?
Yes, we carry samples of RTU as well as concentrate flavors. Each sample comes in 4oz containers.
11. What are your Top 15 flavors?
12 How Many Flavors Should I Carry?
Most of our customers started out carrying 40+ flavors, but soon after they discovered that only 10-15
flavors are actually being used in large quantity. We always have the Top 25 U.S. flavors in stock.
13. What is the shelf life of RTU and Concentrated flavors?
The shelf life of the RTU Hawaiian shave ice syrup is 9 to 12 months.
If it is kept in a cool and dry place it will last much longer. When its open its not
necessary to refrigerate it but by putting the syrup in the refrigerator you can extend its shelf life.
For the concentrate flavors the shelf life is 2 years. It is not necessary to refrigerate the flavor concentrate.
14. How much syrup is used per serving of shave ice?
The serving depends on the cups you serve to your customer. Reference the table below for the correct quantity:
| Cup Size || 4 ounce cup || 6 ounce cup || 8 ounce cup || 16 ounce cup |
| Shaved Ice || 1-2 ounces || 2 ounces || 2-3 ounces || 3-4 ounces |
- 1 gallon of RTU = 128 ounces.
- If you are serving in one of our 8oz flower cup you can get 50 to 55 servings.
15. What is the preservative used for?
- A preservative is used because sugar and water have the tendency to crystallize after 12 to 15 days.
- Preservative (Sodium Benzoate) is use to lengthen the shelf life of the mixed syrup to 3 to 4 months without refrigeration.
16. Should I soften my ice before serving and what is the number of servings per bag of ice?
- Ice temperature and blade setting is the main factor in making great shave ice. The more
soft the ice is, the better the quality your shave ice will be.
- HC-8E cube shaver holds about 3lbs of ice in its hopper. The 9 lbs cube ice sold in convenient
stores holds around 30-35 pieces. It will make about 22-25 servings of 8oz cup. If you are using
a cube bagged ice you can get about 4 to 5 servings of 8 oz. For 4 oz cups it will make around
35-40 servings. The 12oz will make around 17-22 servings.
- HF-500E Block Ice Shaver holds about 10 to 12 lbs of ice in its ice holder. It will make about
18-23 servings of 8 oz cups. The 4oz will make around 27-33 servings and 12oz cups will make around 11-16 servings.
17. Where can we find the block ice and cube ice from?
You can freeze your own block of ice in 3 quart round cylinder plastic mould sold in Wal-mart or K mart superstores.
For large quantities you can order from local ice companies found in your local telephone local pages.
Cube ice bags can be bought from any convenient stores.
18. What sizes and colors of flower cups do you carry?
We carry 3 most popular sized 4oz, 8oz and 12oz and we sell them in six different
colors and the colors are red, blue, pink, purple, yellow,green.
19. Which are the most popular flower cup sizes?
The 8oz is the most popular flower cup.
20. What are selling prices of shave ice in the different sizes of flower cups?
- 12oz cup is sold from $4.00 to $7.00 around the country.
- 8oz cups are sold from $3.00 to $5.00.
- 4oz cups are sold from $2.00 to $3.00.
21. When should I change the blade of my Hatsuyuki Ice Shaver?
Hatsuyuki blade is made with hard stainless steel the company recommends to change the blade after every 10,000 servings.
22. Do you service machines?
Yes, we do service machines and carry most of the parts for the Hatsuyuki shaver. For more information please call or email us.
23. Which shipping services do you offer?
We have 3 ways to ship your order. Most of the time we ship it via UPS but if it is international we ship it via FED EX or if you have an account with them and some areas where UPS and FED EX does not cover we will ship it by USPS.
24. What is the policy over shipping?
We ship orders from Monday through Friday. Our office is closed on weekends. Any order placed on a weekday before 1:30 pm PST will we shipped the same day. Any orders placed on weekends or weekdays after 1:30pm PST will be shipped the next business day.
25. How many days will it take me to receive my product?
There are numerous ways of shipping the goods to our customers
- Next day shipment
- 2ND day air
- 3 day select
The ground shipment with UPS will take around 2 to 5 business days to reach your destination. Most of the time our customers ask for ground shipment.
For international customers it depends where you are located at.
26. How do I track my order?
To track your orders please send us an email with your name and your purchase order and we will send you an email with the UPS tracking number.
27. Do you ship internationally?
Yes, we do ship throughout the world.
28. How are charges for shipping made?
We calculate the shipping according to the weight of our items and the city and state from which you are calling from. If you place an order online our website will give you the exact shipping totally.
29. What if my package is damaged?
If the package is damaged please contact us and let us know that you package is damaged and we will inform you as how to file a claim.
30. What is your return policy?
All our items are best quality and lowest prices. Our shave ice machines have a 1 full year warranty on parts & labor .With more than hundred thousand customers only 0.02% customers have had returned orders. If you still wish to return your product, please call us at1-800-563-7975. We will give you a Return Merchandise Authorization number. Merchandised should be retuned in original box and should be insured with carrier.
Pease send the goods at address give below:
Pacific Food & Hawaiian Ice, Inc.
200 Technology Dr. # A
Irvine, Ca 92618
Please enclose a copy of your invoice so we can issue you credit for the refund. Once we get the machine back into the warehouse we will send you your credit. It is preferred if you ship it to us with UPS or FED EX and insure the product so if it gets damaged or lost we can ask for a claim. All customers have to pay for their shipping. Items sent without the Return Merchandise Authorization number will be refused. A 20% restocking fee will be charged for all return items.
31. What if I want to cancel my order?
Please call us or email us as soon as possible, as we ship it out the same day. If sent before canceling the order. It should be returned in original mint condition before being refunded all the money.
32. What is the minimal order I need?
We do not have any minimal order amount. You can order whatever you like whenever you like.
33. What is the terms and conditions of sales?
We gladly accept Master Card, Visa, American Express and Discover.
Any back ordered items will be shipped as soon as they are in stock. If you do not want a back ordered item you must call and cancel the back order.
Freight costs are the responsibility of the purchaser.
These prices supersede all other prices and are subject to change without notice.
All prices are F.O.B. Irvine; CA. Payment must accompany all orders.
34. What is your private policy?
Our website security is unmatched anywhere on the Internet. Your name, your personal information and especially your credit card number are NEVER stored on the Internet with our system. Once you type your information, it is sent instantly, encrypted, directly to our order processing system, which is on a server separate from the internet. We employ the latest 128-bit encryption technology in all areas of the site which require you to provide you’re personal or account information. These include online ordering and order status. This is done to protect you from unauthorized use of the information you are sending to our server.
Pacific Food & Hawaiian Ice, Inc. does not sell products to persons under the age of 18. If you are under the age of 18, you are required seek the approval of your parent or guardian to purchase products from this site.
Orders: If you place an order we use a secure order form which requires you to provide contact, billing, and financial information. This information is transmitted to your credit card company to authorize your purchase. All information obtained from you in the course of transacting orders is used for the purpose of fulfilling your order in a timely manner and for communicating the status of your order with you.
35. What is your contact information?
Pacific Food & Hawaiian Ice, Inc.
200 Technology Dr #A
Irvine, CA 92618